Help needed with improving use of an existing acute adult in-patent MH unit

• Help needed with improving use of an existing acute adult in-patent MH unit

Posted by Ken on September 9, 2021 at 7:59 am

Hi all.

Not sure if this should be here or the design group, but thought I’d start here.

As a strategic estates partner to the NHS in Cornwall, I’ve been asked to help find someone who can work with the clinical team who operate an acute adult MH in-patient unit in Cornwall to look at their existing ward and consider different ways they could use the space more effectively as well as possibly altering the unit.

At this stage we’re not looking for an architect to design a building change, but more like a healthcare planner who has seen many different units and may have ideas on different ways of working, equipment, multiple use of different spaces etc.

There may be money available to make changes within the unit for the right solutions, but we’re keen to avoid getting into a plan that grows legs and becomes unaffordable and undeliverable.

It’s a PFI hospital so this brings with it complications for significant change.

As the local NHS LIFTco for Cornwall, procurement of someone to help the Trust would be through us (community1stCornwall) under the strategic partnering agreement.

Does anyone here provide this sot of service, or know anyone who does?

Thanks.

Ken.

Tomas replied 2 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Philip

September 9, 2021 at 10:51 am

I’ll reach out to a few people in my network Ken.

• Cath

September 9, 2021 at 11:03 am

Hi Ken. A good healthcare Architect may also be able to assist with a simple walk-around to start with. Most will have experience of varied Trusts and ways of working.

Niche Consulting as a healthcare planning may also be able to assist – from their website Sue Salas has particular Mental Health experience.

https://www.nicheconsult.co.uk/about/meet-the-team/sue-salas/

hope this assists!

Regards, Cath Lake.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by  Cath.
    • Ken

September 9, 2021 at 12:30 pm

Thanks Cath.

In my experience it’s too difficult to keep people away from starting to draw rooms once they have an Architect on board and we are keen at this stage to manage the team’s expectations.

I’ll reach out to niche, but was hoping to find someone a little closer if possible.

Ken.

• Tomas

February 22, 2022 at 3:15 pm

Hi Ken, I just lead in the design and opening of an Acute Mental Health Unit in Sligo, ROI. 2 year project in total. I worked very closely with our local estates and architect. As a clinician my role was to advocate and lead on the most appropriate design features, equipments and requirements for the building, cognizant of patient profile, incident patterns and best practice. Our facility opened last year and got awarded the highest standards by our regulator. Feel free to contact, if I can be of help. Tomas Murphy, Area Director Mental Health, Ireland 00353870679903